When your child reaches the age of two, they’ll start wanting to get out of the crib. While investing in a temporary toddler bed will do the job, nothing beats a mattress that can last for the next couple of years.
One of the factors that contribute to the wellbeing and health of a child is a good night’s sleep. When a child gets adequate sleep every day, this translates to immune system responsiveness, good memory, and better school performance.
However, selecting a mattress for your toddler is not an easy job. There are different considerations that you have to take, so you can find the best mattress for your toddler’s comfort.
Do you think it’s time to upgrade your toddler’s bed? Below is a guide of things to consider when buying the best twin mattresses for toddlers.
There can be a wide variety of twin mattresses in the market. This large number of choices can make it difficult for you to narrow down your options. That said, it’s essential to determine how much money you’re willing to spend.
Many moms go for the cheaper options, but you get what you pay for, so an affordable mattress might not always be the best way to go. Opto to invest in quality mattresses that are worth your every buck. Quality twin mattresses can last up to 10 years or more. Save yourself the headache of having to frequently buy a new mattress because of poor quality.
Here are some tips to ponder on when choosing twin mattresses that fit your budget:
- Plan ahead – If you want to get the best deals, plan and watch out for mattresses that are on sale.
- Use a spring box – Getting the most out of what you paid for means maximizing the comfort the mattress can provide to your little dreamer. A box spring can help the mattress support your toddler better.
- Don’t buy a secondhand twin mattress – While it’s tempting to buy a secondhand mattress for a lower price, you might bring more harm than good to your kid. Old fabric items, linens, and quilts can worsen your toddler’s allergies, which is why cleanliness should be your priority.
The twin mattresses that you’ll choose for your toddlers should help them fall asleep quickly. That said, find a mattress with comfortable layers of foam and one that offers a body-hugging feel. Keep in mind that the twin mattresses should not be too hard nor not too soft to prevent pains and aches.
Here are things you can do to identify twin mattresses with optimal conforming and support:
- Let your child do a “test rest” – Take your toddlers with you when you go shopping for twin mattresses. This way, you can let them try out some mattresses for a “test rest.” A test rest would give you an idea of which mattress your kid would like.
- Check on additional features – If you’re thinking of getting an innerspring mattress, choose one that has pillow-top cushioning, so it doesn’t feel too hard. Moreover, get a mattress that offers enough support and cooling layers to prevent it from getting overly hot when it comes in contact with your toddler’s body heat at night.
Taking into consideration additional features and your toddlers’ opinions will help you make the right decision when buying a mattress.
Good Spinal Support
Support for your child’s spine matters. The neck and spine of your toddlers must be in a neutral position when sleeping. Excellent spinal support minimizes stress, enabling your child’s spine to develop and grow without restrictions. Since the spine of your toddler is continuously developing, your chosen mattress should be soft and comfortable.
Choose twin mattresses that can withstand pressure. Durable twin mattresses are vital since toddlers love to jump on their beds and are prone to accidents.
Below are considerations to take when checking the durability of a mattress:
- Mattress protector – Check if the twin mattress that you’re eyeing to buy comes with a protector. A mattress protector protects your mattress from stains and other damages that may decrease its quality faster than expected. If your chosen mattress doesn’t have a protector, consider buying it separately for added protection.
- Consider the foundation – An excellent foundation is an assurance that your mattress won’t break easily. However, if you want an additional guarantee that the twin mattress is durable enough to withstand your jumping toddlers, then buying a spring box should be part of your plans. Some high-quality twin mattresses come with a matching spring box, so you can buy them as a set.
The right twin mattress for your toddler can provide a night of good sleep. A proper mattress can also help your child develop good posture and contribute to bone strength. Choosing the best twin mattresses for your toddlers is something that parents should not take for granted, as it can affect your children’s health and wellbeing. For you to choose the best mattress for your toddlers, consider the tips above and use them as your guide.