Looking to fight the signs of premature aging? Vitamin E may be the answer. This special vitamin is a powerful antioxidant that works to neutralize the harmful effects of free radicals, which can contribute to signs of aging including wrinkles, dark spots and sagging skin, to name a few.
Read on to discover how free radicals affect your appearance and how topical skincare products featuring Vitamin E can combat the symptoms of premature aging.
Free radicals cause signs of aging
Free radicals can do major damage to the largest organ of the body: the skin. Oxygen atoms throughout your body undergo oxidation and become free radicals. This process is constantly happening in your body, but it’s something you want to minimize to keep your cells healthy.
Free radicals crave other electrons, and if they don’t find them from a source of antioxidants, they steal the electrons from healthy cells, causing a breakdown in the DNA of your skin, not to mention other organs throughout the body.
When free radicals steal from your cells, it can contribute to the following skin problems:
- Wrinkles. Proteins including collagen and elastin give skin that ideal smooth, firm structure. When free radicals damage these proteins, you’ll likely notice wrinkles and other signs of aging begin to develop.
- Dull skin tone. Dull or uneven-colored skin is just one of the symptoms of an excess of free radicals. Over the course of decades of oxidative stress, you’ll notice your skin losing that ideal healthy glow.
- Fine lines. One of the most visible signs of aging are fine lines. These small, shallow lines can appear on your face as free radicals break down the collagen and elastin below the surface of your skin.
- Loss of elasticity. Sagging skin is one of the most typical signs of aging. Free radicals damage the elastin proteins that keep skin from sagging.
- Dark spots. Age spots and other forms of discoloration can develop when skin cells suffer damage from free radicals.
Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant
Vitamin E is often your best defense against oxidative stress and the ever-present threat of free radicals. Vitamin E is stored in fat cells throughout the body and released as free radicals are detected. The antioxidant vitamin seeks out and pairs up with the free radicals, neutralizing them and reducing the effects of oxidative stress throughout your body, not only in your skin cells.
Topical applications can help fight oxidative stress
While you’re exposed to free radicals every day and can’t avoid them completely, a topical antioxidant is an excellent option if you want to fight the affects they can have on your skin and your overall appearance. Oils and moisturizing creams containing all-natural Vitamin E sooth and hydrate the skin, feeding it the antioxidizing vitamins it needs to stop free radicals in their tracks and preserve the smoothness, firmness and color of your skin.
Look for Vitamin E on skincare labels
There are many excellent topical skincare products on the market that can feed your skin with the nourishing, free radical-fighting benefits of Vitamin E. for best results, look for a product with a complete Vitamin E mixed tocopherol complex that includes all four healthy isomers. Working together, these four Vitamin E isomers form a protective barrier for your skin, soothing, hydrating and rejuvenating even the most distressed skin and restoring your youthful glow.