You spent so many months on finding the perfect diamond ring and now you’re wondering whether you should get it insured or not. Well, it is a good idea to implement apart from the jewelry appraisal costs.
Jewelry Appraisals and its Purpose:
You must have heard about the term ‘jewelry appraisal’. It is a process where a certified gemologist examines the gem or a piece of your jewelry to state your jewelry’s value. A document is then formed with a written description of how the appraisal was done. For example writing the condition of the jewelry, its quality characteristics, the precious metals in it, etc.
There are different types of appraisals you can get from different shops or online stores. The main reason for jewelry appraisals is for insurance purposes, other than that some require the appraisal for tax purposes or for reselling purposes.
Things to Look for in Jewelry Appraiser:
You must be thinking about how to get a good jewelry appraiser. Well, don’t worry because all the appraisers will state a certain market value. However, make sure to look for a few things we have mentioned below in your jewelry appraiser.
- The appraisal process should be done completely with a descriptive document.
- The document should have a clear explanation of measurements and gradings.
- The document should have an authorized seal or signature of the appraiser.
- A certificate of the statement of an appraiser.
- Have an open discussion with the appraiser before diving into the process.
How Often Should Jewelry Be Appraised?
It would have been great if we get the appraisal done and never worry about it again. But jewelry appraisals are required to be done often for a good reason. Just like the dollar, it gains value. This means an appraisal done 5 years ago will only pay 25% of the current market price for the piece of jewelry.
Certainly, it’s a good idea to get your jewelry appraised every 2 to 3 years. But it should not exceed 5 years because of the same reason mentioned above.
An appraisal should also be done after jewelry alteration. If your jewelry is modernized with a custom design or there’s a gem that was swapped, then an updated jewelry appraisal is necessary.
The Jewelry Appraisal Cost:
This is undoubtedly the most important factor, the cost. Jewelry appraisal certainly means jewelry insurance. And the bottom line is, how much does jewelry insurance cost?
Different appraisers have different ways of charging for a piece of jewelry. Some may charge hourly and some may charge per item. Typically, the hourly charge is 50$ to 150$ whereas per item charge generally begins with 75$.
Furthermore, prices are always subject to change depending on the complexity and delicacy of the jewelry item.
Few Myths Related to Jewelry Appraisal:
To make it more useful for you to understand the term jewelry appraisal, we decided to share a few myths related to it.
- Appraisals can be done quickly: There are certain items that may take a few days of researching and examining because of the intricacy of the product.
- You don’t need to get an appraisal again, just multiply the value of the appraisal done five years ago: Know that you wore a certain piece of jewelry for five years. Appraisers are required to examine the condition of the jewelry too. Five years is a long time for a piece of jewelry to lose its charm.