Indeed, CBD has gone a long way. More people have become educated even towards the start of the new millennium, which helped CBD pave its way to the market.
What’s great is that most of us now understand how important this wonder compound is and how it could help make a difference. It does not only apply to a particular age bracket as more moms research about the benefits one can get from using CBD.
Let’s make your research a bit easier. Here’s a helpful walkthrough especially written for mothers who are in search of a helpful alternative towards achieving a healthy lifestyle.
What is CBD?
According to a series₁ of research published in 2019, cannabidiol, better known as CBD, is a significant compound found in the cannabis sativa plant. Most studies show its calming effect compared to other popular cannabinoid found in the plant, which is THC. So yes, it does not give you the high you are expecting.
THC or tetrahydrocannabinol is the main active ingredient of the cannabis sativa L plant family. This psychoactive compound gives varying effects, but it is mostly known for giving the “kick.” And yes, this is the one illegal in most countries.
Studies about CBD are still ongoing; however, many countries allow hemp-derived CBD at present which is why every day new CBD companies are popping and entering the market.
In the United States alone, 47 out of the 50 states already legalized selling and usage of CBD.₂ Now, don’t be confused there. All states allow CBD, only that some states still have reservations.
CBD is widely known to help chronic pain management but its strongest breakthrough is Epidiolex. It is the first medication containing the wonder compound, which helps pacify epileptic seizures.₃
Scientists continue to discover the benefits we can get from using CBD but it already stamped its existence across the globe. CBD making it to multimedia platforms has also helped in telling people that there is an available alternative that is natural and effective.
Can Kids Use CBD?
Here’s one great question every mom would definitely ask: is it safe for my child?
Epidiolex is a strong contender when it comes to proving how helpful CBD is. Most children suffering from epilepsy have alleviated pain and somehow lessened the seizures all their lives because of the medication.
CBD has been tested on some children with autism spectrum disorder and the results are favorable.₄ Most of them with hyperactivity and sleeping problems improved with 66 days of continuous medication.
But of course, it would still be best to consult your physician when it comes to any new supplement you may want you or your kids to take.
CBD during Pregnancy
I’d say the people who suffer from chronic pain the most and the longest are pregnant women. We also have to mention inflammation, of course. It would surely be wonderful if there is a safe alternative to help alleviate the pain somehow.
I feel like I experienced every pregnancy booboo known in the world so I was really holding on to CBD oils at that time. Honestly, I was (and still am) conscious about taking in medication during pregnancy. But thanks to some manufacturers, you no longer have to rely on just one way to use CBD.
Aside from chronic pain and inflammation, CBD may also be another alternative if you suffer from sleeping problems. Yes, pregnant women also feel anxious at some point. You may want to massage with CBD oils and balms.
Of course, whatever option you may want to use, still consult your doctor about it. Remember that you are taking care of two bodies during this precious moment.
CBD for Breastfeeding
Just like when you are pregnant, it is still vital for you to be cautious with your supplements. Studies about the effects of CBD on an unborn child and in breastfeeding are yet to conclude.
Take note that when lactating, your child is getting nutrients directly from you. You surely do not want to hinder that. There are lots of CBD topical products available in the market that you may want to check out to stay on the safe side. You may see some stores selling CBD oil in balms and lotions.
I know how it feels when your muscles continue to ache but you have to do your nursing duties. Make sure to ask the opinion of medical experts.
Things to Look for in CBD Products
“Staying safe” is any mother’s mantra when it comes to their life as a pillar of the home. Make sure that you check the following if you want to choose CBD as an alternative:
- CBD does not come in cheap. It has always been my belief that if the CBD product is cheap, I should doubt it. The extraction process alone sounds really expensive so I make sure that I am not going to suffer in the long run.
- Check out the label – ingredients, manufacturer information, warnings, everything! Know what you are getting by reading. You cannot blame anyone for a supposed “wrong purchase” if something happens, right? It is also great if you add a little research on the seller’s website, too.
- Get a medical opinion. We are here to make the highfalutin words easy to understand but that does not make us scientific experts. Your reaction may be different from mine, so make sure that you ask your family doctor, most especially when you opt for sublingual CBD products.
- Family first. Remember that you are doing this for your family’s welfare so give extra time to educate them about alternative ways to achieve a healthy lifestyle. Some people still have mixed reactions when they hear CBD. Knowledge is power.
- Less than 0.3% THC is the goal. CBD products must have less than 0.3% of THC as mandated by the law. You surely don’t want to get your family high.
- You may feel drowsy. Some people experienced drowsiness when taking in CBD. That’s why some use it at least an hour before they sleep. This makes them keep a healthy sleeping pattern.
- There is no ideal dosage. You have to learn the dosing by observing how your body reacts to CBD after a few intakes. Start with the smallest dosage and continue adding until you think your body has already achieved the goal. Too much of something is bad.
- Different strokes for different folks. Some adults really do not like the earthy taste of oils so do not expect your children to enjoy it. However, there are various CBD products available in the market that you could use instead. CBD oils can also be mixed with food and beverages. Actually, there are even some chefs who shared their healthy CBD recipes online for free!
As mothers, our priority is to give the best for our family. That’s why it is important that we also find options that would help them live an active yet healthy lifestyle.
CBD helps alleviate pain and inflammation, soothe our emotions, and combat complications from serious illnesses. Some moms choose CBD after carefully studying its pros and cons. It is not yet late for you to do yours as well. Of course, at the end of the day, you definitely want to prove that mothers know best.
- Cannabidiol in Anxiety and Sleep: A Large Case Series, Scott Shannon, MD, Nicole Lewis, ND, Heather Lee, PA-C, and Shannon Hughes, PhD, 2019 Jan 7
- Industrial Hemp, United States Department of Agriculture National Institute of Food and Agriculture, 2019
- Cannabidiol (CBD) – what we know and what we don’t, Peter Grinspoon, MD, 2018 Aug 24
- Oral Cannabidiol Use in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder to Treat Related Symptoms and Co-morbities, Dana Barchel, et al, 2019 Jan 9