A low carb diet contains little or no starchy food such as bread, sugary foods, or pasta. In the last few years, people have discovered the benefits of keto, which is a low-carb diet. It not only helps you shed off unhealthy weight but improves your overall body health. But in a ketogenic diet, you eat a lot of fat, and it’s sometimes referred to as LCHF or low-carb, high fat diet.
For years people have been advised to avoid fatty foods at all costs. It is known to be detrimental to human health. This is one of the reasons sugar products found their way into the product as most people prefer to snack on sugar, and the results were an obesity epidemic. It proves that fats are not the only cause of various overweight related health complications.
According to keto diet research, fats are okay as long as they are natural. It is the sugar and starch-rich food that should be avoided. Low-carb diets enhance metabolism in the body while making you feel satisfied. With a keto fruit List to consult when shopping, you can gain more benefits.
- Start by identifying what you need to focus on
The first thing you should when starting a keto diet is that the number of calories you take in a day, matters. So, your primary goal should be to reduce the number of carbs per day. This is the reason why ketogenic dieters lose weight. But, if you can burn the extra calories in deficit, you are good to go. Some people find it hard to fight the cravings, especially when they lower your carbs up to 20 grams per day. Here are two tips that should guide you:
- Include fibre-rich and protein-dense foods to keep you full most of the day.
- Eliminate all start-rich foods in your diet. It is easy to overeat them and forget where you had set the boundary.
- Make You Eat Only Foods Allowed in Keto
If you follow the keto diet guideline, you will only eat low-carb foods. This will make your keto journey easy and put your body in ketosis quickly. This diet ensures that you keep your calories below 35 grams and, most ideally, below 20 grams.
For you to remain on the right track, you have to be vigilant and make food choices carefully. Avoid anything that is not in the foods list of a keto diet.
Even some of the vegetables that look healthy are full of carbs and, therefore, not a good idea; be vigilant if you want to be successful on keto.
What to eat:
- Meats: beef, eggs, poultry, eggs, and fish.
- Non-starch vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, and kale.
- Dairy with high-fat content such as butter, hard cheese, and fat cream.
- Seeds and nuts such as sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, walnuts, and macadamias.
- Fruits include avocado, blackberries, and raspberries, among others, but must be low glycaemic impact fruits.
- Sweeteners allowed include monk fruit: stevia and erythritol.
- Fats and oils like olive oil, coconut oil, and other saturated oils.
What to avoid:
- All tubers including potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, and cassavas.
- Fruits such as bananas, oranges, and apples.
- Grains like rice, cereals, corn, and wheat.
Note that knowing the right foods to eat in keto does not guarantee your weight loss. You must watch your calorie intake. You can still gain weight by taking a large amount of carb-free foods.
- Track what you eat
It is easy to underestimate the number of calories you take in a day. A small mistake between what is recommended and what you eat will hinder your progress. Some people lose weight on some days, but then mess their diet a few days and end stalling their weight loss journey. Get an app to help you track your carb intake. Also, get a weighing scale and avoid guessing your accuracy when estimating calories to take in a day. However, even with these essential items to help you in keto, you must play your role to stay on track. You can easily cheat when travelling.
- Change the Food Environment
The human brain cannot handle a food environment that keeps tempting it. So, you need to move away to avoid having your desires triggered by the smell or sight of the delicious foods. The secret to overcoming such temptations is to move away from the environment with plenty of food.
Here is what you should do:
- Stock only the foods allowed in keto diet where you live. This means that when you feel hungry, you will not think of cheating because the only food in the house is part of your ketogenic diet. Hunger is the number one motivator to break your diet rules; have keto snacks around, and you will succeed in your weight loss journey.
- Plan the keto meals in advance. This helps you avoid eating anything else even when in a hurry to prepare you dinner or breakfast. The prepared meals take less time to cook, and the snacks keep you full in between meals.
- Do not keep any unhealthy snacks in your house. For example, if you cannot control your keto ice cream intake, make a single serving at a time.
- Stick to your keto diet strictly and measure everything that you eat. Do not fall into the temptation to add a little more ingredient such as cheese, oil, or meat. You will consume extra calories and gain weight instead of losing it.
- Get into keto diet groups
One of the tips that most people tend to overlook is finding support in social support groups. When you start mingling with people who are going through similar keto-related struggles, you learn a few practical tips to keep you moving on.
The Bottom Line
Getting into a reduced carb and keto diet regime does not have to be costly. You can spend less than $10 in the day for all your meals. Just take your time to budget and plan for all your keto meals. It is advisable to do this weekly, and you will never have a reason to fall back.