What Lies Beneath… The Dangers Of Basements


The basement can be one of the biggest draws to a home, but it can also be one of the biggest drawbacks. Nowadays, we can convert them into living spaces that are comfortable and practical, but there are potential issues and dangers you should bear in mind.

The Dangers Of Mold

While mold is common in the vast majority of places in the household, it can be very dangerous in an enclosed space that doesn’t see sunlight, like your basement. If you spend a lot of time in the basement, and you don’t take the time to clean the area, or take appropriate steps to minimize damp, mold could cause a lot of health problems in you and your family, but mold damage could be a worst case scenario down the line.

Is Your House Prone To Flooding?

If you live in an area that ranks high on the National Flood Insurance Program’s areas that are prone to flooding, not only will it result in higher insurance premiums, but it’s going to cause damage to every aspect of your house, and predominantly it will hit your basement the worst. You can offset this by having suitable protection in place, but you can also use restoration companies, such as Restoration Eze to help clean up the damage. The concern with basement flooding is that if the water damage isn’t caught early enough, it’s may have some devastating impacts on the structure of the property.

Have You Heard Of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC)?

This is just a general term for chemicals that are released into the indoor air of the home environment. The impact is on the quality of air, and as a result, the health of those who live in that property. The common culprits are things like cigarette smoke, glue, paints, cleaners, furniture, or air purifiers. To offset this, you need to make sure that the basement is well ventilated, which is seldom thought of when you barely use the basement. But it still has an impact on your home.

Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer

Carbon monoxide is invisible and odorless, making it difficult to detect. If left for long enough, it can kill. If you’ve got a fuel burner or a similar appliance in the basement that is rarely used, or the basement is adjacent to an attached garage, it’s important for you to install carbon monoxide detectors. If you find that you go into the basement, and you feel slightly dizzy or tired, or may experience flu-like symptoms for a short period of time, these are some of the common feelings associated with carbon monoxide poisoning. So beware, especially if you have a basement that you don’t go into much.

Basements can add a considerable value to a person’s home, but it’s one of the most dangerous rooms in the house. People may consider the kitchen or the bathroom to be the biggest culprit for danger, but spare a thought for your basement, especially if you rarely use it.


About Author


Wife, mother, grandma, blogger, all wrapped into one person. Lover of coffee, crime shows as well as humor. Loyalty, honesty and positivity is what attracts me to a person as that is what I try to project to others. Hard working and driven to a fault helps me help others and in turn helps myself in my daily work and life.

Comments are closed.