Buying baby clothes can feel overwhelming at first. You know your baby will grow quickly but everyone says babies are messy, right? The Mayo Clinic estimates your newborn to grow 5-7 ounces a week.
What that means and how to buy baby clothes for your newborn will differ on your climate, schedule, recovery, and lifestyle.
Seems straightforward, right?
Here is a basic guide for knowing what to buy and how much you’ll need to put the fun back into buying baby clothes.
Buy Newborn Clothes, or Skip It?
We say skip it. In the first 30 days, you’ll be adjusting to being a parent and getting to know your baby. Leave newborn shopping to your friends and family during the baby shower.
Instead, reach for clothes marked for 0-3 months or even 6-12 months.
Choose newborn necessities like:
- Light blankets
- A stroller
- Hypoallergenic wipes
What to Buy When You Go
Now, what should you choose from the sea of baby clothes choices? How to have a cute baby depends on your style, the season, and what is best at the moment.
A quick tip: While reading through this list, keep in mind how often you do laundry and you might want to cut this list in half or double it.
- Seven onesies
- You can count on this outfit as perfect in the summer months as well as a simple base layer in the winter.
- Two or three long-sleeved onesies
- These are great for sleeping and pair well with a swaddle for the first year.
- Two or three pants
- Prepare with just as many layers as you have on and add a light blanket.
- Six pairs of socks
- Tip: Choose all the same colors for an easy laundry day.
- A lot of heat escapes from your baby’s feet so keeping all of their little toes covered will help keep them comfortable.
- Two hats
- One for the laundry and one ready to go.
- One pair of mittens
- These don’t normally get dirty and your baby’s hands will grow quickly out of them.
- One heavy coat
- Another item that will get too small quickly but a necessity for a winter baby.
- One pair of winter boots
- Paired with warm socks, you and the baby will be able to face any weather together.
- One sun hat
- Keeps sun away from their sensitive skin while enjoying the summer heat.
- A few fun outfits
- You just had a baby! Have fun, dress them up and enjoy with a few fun outfits, like these headwraps from steviejs.com.
How to Buy Baby Clothes Made Easier!
There’s no denying that buying baby clothes is a fun and exciting way to connect with your baby before they’re born. Once you give birth, you’ll enjoy your baby and being a parent, even more, when you know you have the things you need to be successful.
Excited to start shopping and need more tips? Explore our blog!