If there’s one hairstyle many of us want to achieve, it’s probably got to be curly hair. After all, the voluminous and shiny curls definitely add up to the glam of your look. Plus, they’re so versatile, may it be for high-end events, the beach, or for date night!
But I’m sure a lot of you are wondering: How can you curl your hair properly on your own? Fortunately, it’s pretty easy to do at home, whether you have a curler or not! So read on as I show you the different ways on how to curl your hair at home to help you out.
How to Curl Your Hair At Home
Do you want to learn how to curl your hair all by yourself without having to go to the salon? Here are the different effective ways how (with or without heat!):
- Use Hot Rollers
Using hot rollers for long hair is best because it’s quick and effective, providing beautiful results without the worry of it flopping! To do this, follow these steps:
- Ready your hair, ensuring that it’s dry before you roll it. Brush your hair as well and detangle, allowing it to hang evenly. I recommend that you use a setting spray or mousse.
- Section your hair and make it one-inch thick, winding each section snuggly around your roller. Continue to section and roll as desired until you completed all areas. Let it sit for less than an hour.
- Remove the clips and unroll, allowing the hair to fall freely. Loosen up the curls using your fingers and you’re done!
- Scrunching On Your Own
This is the easiest option you can follow, the most recommended for those who already have naturally curly hair. It adds more texture to your natural one, and all you need is your usual hair products and curl enhancer gel or mousse.
- Wash your hair with volumizing shampoo and conditioner. Make sure that you only apply the conditioner to your hair ends and detangle.
- Rinse well and towel dry, squeezing water out without rubbing your hair. Keep it damp when applying the enhancer.
- Use the curl enhancing mousse or gel, and then start scrunching! Make the scrunches as how you would crumple paper. Just don’t apply any of the products near the hair roots to prevent a greasy look.
- Continue to scrunch upward then let your hair dry.
- Pin Curls or Velcro Rollers
These produce large and beautiful curls without the need for heat. All you need are your curls and rollers, leave it overnight, and get those adorable ringlets in the morning! Follow these steps to get these curls:
- Wash your hair with volumizing shampoo and conditioner. Detangle your hair while conditioning using a wide-toothed comb.
- Towel dries your hair, only squeezing the water than rubbing. Apply hair gel to encourage the hairstyle to hold.
- Section out your hair’s crown and make it to a bun. You’ll do this part last.
- Take a section from your hair (about one inch) and wrap it around your finger to make a look. Hold it in place and roll this section upwards with your rollers or curls until it’s by your roots, securing it with a hairpin. Remember not to make the sections too thick or it’ll be difficult to secure with a hairpin and it might leave indentations on the sections.
- Repeat with all sections until you’re done with the crown.
- Wrap the hair with a scarf for the pins to stay in place and leave it on overnight. The scarf will also be able to absorb moisture from your damp hair.
- Undo the curls and remove pins only when your hair is dry. Do NOT use a blow-dryer and finger comb your hair after for the curls to show?
- Place hairspray to keep it on the whole day.
- Braid Your Hair
If you want effortless curly hair in the style of beach waves, then you’ll want to braid your hair instead! It’s one of the easiest and affordable ways to get those curls. All you need are your scrunches and hairspray. Follow these steps to achieve these cute curls:
- Wash your hair as you normally would, then wait until it’s slightly damp, about 70% dry.
- Part your hair in two sections, beginning your braids. If you want waves by your hair’s ends, make two regular braids. If you want waves starting on the hair roots, do two French or boxer braids.
- When braiding your hair, make it tight enough to prevent frizzy hair when untying.
- Allow the braids to stay until your hair’s 100% dry. You can also leave it overnight if you want.
- Untie your hair and finger comb it until you get your desired waves. Apply hairspray of holding products and you’re done!
Wrapping It Up
Curling your hair doesn’t need to be so difficult and tedious, neither will you need to spend a lot in the salon! With the right materials and gentle hands, you can have the beautiful curls for your next day out. And yes, no need for frills and expensive equipment at all.
I hope that this article on how to curl your hair at home gave you an idea on what you can begin doing for your next hairstyle. So don’t wait any longer and look into these methods now!
If you have any questions or want to share your tips and experiences on curling your hair, then comment below. Your thoughts are much appreciated.