Peanut allergy is one of the most common types of food allergy there is: 1 in every 200 adults have it.
Contrary to popular belief, peanuts aren’t tree nuts – they are, in fact, legumes. However, just like peanuts, many tree nuts can lead to allergic reactions. Furthermore, 25 to 40% of people with a peanut allergy react to tree nuts as well.
Whether you’re part of that statistic or you simply believe that prevention is better than cure, keep reading as we go through five warning signs of an allergy to rare nuts!
1. Skin Rashes
Skin reactions like rashes, hives, and redness are common signs of an allergy.
When you get a skin rash from eating tree nuts, you aren’t exactly in a life-threatening situation. However, rashes can certainly be uncomfortable, which is why you should act as soon as you notice the problem.
To relieve the symptoms, take antihistaminic medication and apply either a cold compress or a bit of ointment on the irritated area.
2. Respiratory Symptoms
Just like skin reactions, it’s very common for people to sneeze, cough and blow their nose constantly when they’re reacting to something.
If you feel these symptoms, accompanied by itchy eyes and a sore through, take an antihistamine and have a warm tea to relieve the discomfort.
3. Difficulty Swallowing
When you experience respiratory symptoms, you might also find it difficult to swallow.
Although this symptom is less common than others, it can be a bit overwhelming to feel for the first time. If you’re having trouble swallowing, take proper medication and consider calling your doctor.
4. Digestive Reactions
If after a couple of hours of consuming tree nuts, you tend to feel nauseous, that might be a sign that the allergy has reached your stomach. Sometimes, this can even lead to diarrhea and vomit.
Soothe your stomach with a heating pad and a cup of chamomile tea.
Finally, the most dangerous symptom. Anaphylaxis happens when one’s throat and airways are blocked, and when it isn’t treated fast, it can be fatal.
Other symptoms of this are nausea, anxiety, confusion, itchiness, and low pulse. If you feel these red flags, called 911 immediately.
The Importance of Allergy Tests
Many of the signs mentioned before can be mistaken for symptoms of other conditions.
However, if you start to see a pattern or if you go through a very intense reaction, it’s definitely a good idea to schedule a food allergy testing.
This will give you a concrete answer on what’s wrong and it’ll allow you to avoid the tree nuts – or whatever food you’re allergic to – so that you’re always safe and sound!
What to Do If You’re Allergic to Rare Nuts
The first step is obviously to get rid of any tree nuts you may have at home. Give them to your mother, sister, best friend – anyone.
Besides that, you need to get two new habits: firstly, carefully reading the list of ingredients of every product you want to buy, and secondly, of asking the waitresses what you can eat in a restaurant’s menu.
Don’t worry: after a while it becomes automatic!
If you have any other tips on how to deal with an allergy to rare nuts, make sure to leave a comment down below!