Parents experience many struggles while raising their kids, but brushing their toddler’s teeth does not have to be one of them. There are a ton of creative ways you can make brushing teeth fun and easy for kids.
Bring Music Into Your Bathroom
Have some fun with your little one by bringing in some music for them to brush their teeth too. There are tons of songs about brushing your teeth, you just have to find one that your child likes. It will be a fun way to get them engaged in brushing their teeth and learning a new song. Kids love to sing and dance, so use it at every opportunity possible.
Here are some catchy toons you may want to introduce to your little one.
- Tooth Brushing Song by Blippi
- Sesame Street: Kids Just Love to Brush
- Brush Your Teeth
- Dudley the Dinosaur: Brush Your Teeth
- Brushing My Teeth – Barney
Play A Game While Brushing Your Toddler’s Teeth
Play a game so that your toddler is less focused on their teeth being brushed, and more fixated on the game you are playing. There are a variety of fun games you can play with your little one, which will take away any anxiety they may be feeling about having their teeth brushed.
Here are a few games that you may consider.
- Peek-a-Boo with their teeth – let your toddler play peek-a-boo with their mouth, but once it’s open they have to freeze and let you brush for 10 seconds.
- I spy with my little eye – They get to spy one thing and if you win you get to brush their teeth. Of course, this one may take a few rounds, so be prepared.
- Funny Faces – Use the mirror to make funny faces, but make sure you take the chance to talk to them about their teeth. Afterward, they are sure to be more open to getting their teeth brushed.
- Animal Noises – Let your child choose an animal to mimic, but make sure they pause to let you brush a few teeth.
Being silly will get you a long way with your child. They love when mom or dad will come down to their level and play. Let your inner kid come out every once and a while so they can see it’s not all about getting stuff done.
Reading A Story About Brushing Your Teeth
There are tons of great books on the market, and there is no shortage of books about dental care. Take the time to research and find a fun book that you and your child can read. Kids are brilliant, and they will listen to the things you say to them. Reading is one of the best things you can do for your child.
Here are some children’s books about dental care.
- Freddie Visits the Dentist by Nicola Smee
- The Tooth Book: A Guide to Healthy Teeth and Gums by Edward Miller
- Clarabella’s Teeth by An Vrombaut
- ABC Dentist by Harriet Ziefert
- Brush Your Teeth, Please by Jean Pidgeon
- Sesame Street Ready, Set, Brush by Che Rudko and Sesame Street
- Brush, Brush, Brush! By Alicia Padron and Children’s Press
What Do You Do To Brush Your Toddler’s Teeth?
Stop struggling to brush your toddler’s teeth, and let your creativity flow. Turn this time with your child into something fun, and they will have good oral care for the rest of their life.
We would love to know what you and your toddler’s routine is when it comes to brushing their teeth. Comment below and give us a tip on how you keep your kid’s teeth looking pearly white.