Moving to Tianjin can be stressful especially if there is a language barrier involved. However, the problem is only temporary as it can be overcome in time. There are lots of methods to choose from in order to get past these language difficulties. These include language schools, from English to other languages, and language conversation manuals or books.
What about kids? It can be a challenge for them as it will be an emotional burden for them socially. Nonetheless, kids will find ways to learn new language while attending an English boarding school in Tianjin. Meantime, here’s what you can do to help them.
- First is that you have to learn the language seriously. Parents are role models and kids can easily adopt and are motivated to learn a new language if they hear their parents using it. Doing so, you are creating a casual environment in which they can learn the new language.
- Take it slowly. Allow the child to learn the language at his or her own pace. It should be an everyday affair and grows naturally just like when your child was still learning through sounds, actions, and associations.
- Determine your role in teaching the other language. Even if you are well versed with the new lingo and may consider it as your second language, still it is not enough. Allow other methods as well such as finding a language tutor and interactive language teaching presentations for examples. Sometimes, children are just okay hearing and speaking the language instead of you teaching them.
- Make language learning fun by practicing by using things that interest them such as toys, books, and movies. Encourage them to search for vocabularies and meanings. Do not forget that consistency is vital with regards to learning a new language. It is not an off and on process.
- Don’t use the new language sparingly, but very often when conversing with them and at the same time encourage learning new words simultaneously with the first language. This way, it will be easy for your child to appreciate and skilfully use the words in sentences or verbally.
- Pauses are not signs of non-learning but rather the child is adjusting and composing responses in the new language syntax. Instead, help the child find ways to make it natural, by using the techniques mentioned earlier.
- Use available technologies such as Skype to chat with new friends, DVD materials, online materials, and interactive learning tools. When the methods are not redundant, expect kids to learn quickly.
- Patience is a virtue; do not forget to check this from time to time. Teaching children a new language is a challenge and being kids at that, there are factors involved such as shortened attention span.
- Practice makes perfect, as discussed earlier, and consistency is the key to new language learning. Encourage appreciation by speaking to your children using it together with the primary language.
Finally, it is wise that you also check with local boarding school in Tianjin if they have second language programs to professionally augment your child’s second language learning process.
Maria Madrid has been writing guides to help families who are moving abroad to settle into their new environments. Ensuring that the children are schooled properly should be a top priority.