Is cricket a sport that appeals to you? More and more people are enjoying this game! If you wish to start playing cricket you will obviously need to get your hands on some vital pieces of equipment.
Quality is everything when it comes to sports equipment, as poor standard items can really hamper your overall game. Not only will this have a negative impact on your performance, but you won’t enjoy the game as much either.
Don’t forget about the other purchases that will enhance your experience as well. For example, you will want to have some sort of camera set-up to catch any amazing moments! This is especially important if your child is going to be taking up cricket for the first time; you will want to catch this on camera. The Osmo Mobile 4 is a good product to consider if you’re going to be using your smartphone for this.
So, what about cricket equipment itself? What sort of things do you need to consider when purchasing cricket equipment for the first time?
- Product Range – First and foremost, you need to find a store that has a full range of cricket products available. After all, whilst you may only require a bat today, if you are going to continue to play the sport you will definitely need more items later down the line. Therefore, you should be looking out for everything from protective items, to batting pads, to shoes, to helmets, to bats, to balls, to clothing and much, much more.
- Brands – If you buy your equipment from a brand that is well-known and has a good reputation, you are going to have a much higher chance of being happy with the product that you receive. When it comes to the world of cricket some of the brands you should consider include Adidas, Clads, Gunn & Moore, Dukes, Gray-Nicolls, Kookaburra and Puma.
- Sale – When buying any type of product or service you always have to take cost into consideration. This is definitely the case when it comes to sports equipment. Quality is the most important thing, however. If you buy the cheapest item you lay your eyes on, not only will you need to replace it a lot sooner than expected, but it will have a really bad impact on your overall game. The best thing to do in this instance is to look for a company that has a high-quality sale section. By doing this you will be able to purchase last season’s products at a cut-price.
- Reputation – It is always a good idea to take the time to read reviews. What have they had to say about the service they received? Were they happy with the products? Were they delivered quickly? This is the only way to get an honest picture of the company in question. By taking a mere five minutes to read feedback you could save yourself from purchasing from a company with a really bad reputation.
- Delivery – Last but not least, the final thing you need to take a look at is the delivery service. How long will you have to wait for your cricket equipment to be delivered? What is the charge of shipping? Will you have to pay more money based on the number of items you need to buy? The latter is especially important for those buying items for teams.
Choose the cricket bat that bats the best for you
When it comes to playing cricket, one of the most crucial decisions you need to make is choosing the best cricket bat for you. The importance of this cannot be underestimated, and is one of the main reasons why so many professional cricketers have custom cricket bats made especially for them. After all, the bat you use can make or break your game, either enhancing your performance to the best it can be or having a hugely detrimental impact on it.
If you take a look online, you will see that there is a wide range of cricket bats to choose from. Of course, choice is a good thing, however, this can make it a little bit overwhelming and daunting for someone who doesn’t really know what they should be looking for or hasn’t bought a cricket bat before. But don’t worry, as this post will provide you with all of the information you need to know so you can choose a cricket bat that bats the best for you.
One of the first things you need to consider is the material of the cricket bat. Generally speaking, you will have two key options to select from, English willow cricket bats and Kashmir willow bats. You are definitely advised to go for the former. Kashmir willow cricket bats are harder and do not offer the same level of performance, with players finding it impossible to experience a sweet spot when striking the ball. The only benefit associated with these bats is that they are cheaper, but they are cheaper for a reason. On the other hand, English willow cricket bats are made from a soft, fibrous timber, which offers a high level of performance. Nowadays there are some manufacturers that are creating cricket bats with the use of titanium, with this material being inserted into the handle to offer more power in the hitting zone. Moreover, carbon fibre can be inserted into the handle for the opposite effect, i.e. to make it feel lighter. This increases the shock absorption in the handle and allows for more power to be generated in the shots.
It is also a good idea to choose a cricket bat that has been manufactured by a brand that has a good reputation in the industry. You have everything from New Balance cricket bats to Woodworm cricket bats to choose from. By opting for a brand that has a positive standing in the industry, you increase your chances of benefitting from a high-quality bat. It is also advisable to take the time to read reviews. If people have generally been unhappy with the cricket bat they received, it will become evident.
In addition to this, you should take the grade of the willow into account. Willow is graded from Grade 1+ (A), to Grade 1 – G1 (A), to Grade 2 – G2 (B), to Grade 3 – G3 (C), to Grade 4 (G4). This is in order of best to worst. A Grade 1+ bat is the highest quality of willow, with even and straight grains, where the wood is unbleached and there is no discolouration or marking to the bat face. On the other hand, Grade 4 willow is often bleached and the face of the bat has a covering. The number of grains is also important. If you want to benefit from high-quality willow, you should look for a bat that has anything from six to 12 grains.
The size of the cricket bat is also of paramount importance. If you do not purchase the right sized bat, your performance is going to suffer drastically, as you will not feel comfortable when you are playing the sport. Generally, you have to choose between a shorthand (SH) bat and a long hand (LH) bat, with the latter generally designed for those over 6’2” tall while a SH bat is ideal for those between the height of 5’9” and 6’2”. You also need to think about the weight of the bat, as this will have an impact on your performance as well. It is all about finding the right balance. If you go for a bat that is too heavy you are going to fail to swing it with ease, however, if you go for a bat that is too light you are going to fail to generate the power that is required to strike the ball effectively.
How serious are you as a cricket player? This is definitely a question you should be asking yourself when it comes to buying a cricket bat. Those who are heavily involved in the sport often go for custom made cricket bats. However, if you are simply going to play cricket as a hobby now and again, there is no point in wasting a significant amount of money on a bat. Determining a budget is also advised. If you take a look online you will see that there are literally cricket bats to suit all price ranges. If you do not establish a budget from the offset you are going to find your search increasingly long-winded and difficult.
All in all, hopefully you now have a much better idea of all of the different factors you need to consider when you are purchasing a cricket bat. Don’t underestimate how important this decision is. After all, it is going to have a massive impact on your overall performance. Thus, why not make a checklist of all the things you need to bear in mind when assessing whether a cricket bat is the right one for you? Include everything from material and customer reviews to brand and size and you cannot go wrong. With so many options to select from, you are bound to find the perfect bat for you.