In olden times, when someone wanted to fence their compound or farm, they just looked for a series of steady wooden posts, dug holes along the perimeter of their property, planted the posts, and linked them with wire mesh and viola! Their compound was enclosed. Fencing was not seen as a task that needed any particular skills as long as the person was strong and fit, had the time to spare, could dig and plant posts for long hours, what was the big deal anyway? The big deal was that, back then, security may not have been as big a concern as it is today. Back then, people were good, now, people are cunning. There are many other reasons why gates and fences should be handled by nothing less than professionals and these are;
- Statutory provisions for protecting the environment – when a person chooses to install their own fence, they may not know all the provisions that are required by the regulatory authorities for environmental protection. These provisions are dynamic and keep changing regularly. Professionals keep abreast of the latest changes in their line of work and are able to mount fences and gates that fully comply with all the environmental protection laws. This leaves a feeling of peace on the part of the home owner regarding the fact that their perimeter is in no way detrimental to its natural surroundings.
- Ease of installation – modern technology for installing gates and fences is much faster than the old method of doing this. Professionals use tools and equipment that are designed to cut the overall time of mounting a boundary. This is particularly beneficial to the home owner in 2 main ways. Firstly, the home owner has more time freed to concentrate on other more pressing tasks in and around the home. Secondly, the hazards associated with specialized tools and equipment is reduced because these items are being handled by professionals who know how to operate them more effectively and spend less time on site getting the job done.
- Galvanizing for added security – on all properties, but especially on larger properties, security is a very big issue. This means that, keeping all corners of the farm free from the interference of intruders can be a daunting task if the perimeter gates and fences are not enhanced by the added benefit of galvanization. This is a job that can only be completed by professionals because they know the right amount of voltage to allow within the fence that is designed to repel intruders or animal outbreaks without causing them long term harm.
- Resistance to other hazards – older gates and fences tended to be made out of wood because it was easily and cheaply available. In recent times environmental laws have banned the felling of wood without special permits. Wood is also the ideal breeding ground for termites which burrow into it making their homes and later weakening it at its core. Furthermore, in times of fire, wood propagates the spread of fire instead of breaking it. This can cause untold damage in both life and property. Other more useable options for fences can be installed by professionals and these are designed to be termite resistant and also fire breakers.
- Long lifespan making them affordable – every field has their experts. Someone can be a jack of all trades but a master of none. When it comes to gates and fences the best options to go for are those that provide a limitless lifespan which makes them affordable to invest in. Consulting with a specialist in that field is the best way of finding out the best constructions and the best places to get excellent value for money.
Michelle Dennis is a freelance environmental auditor. Her goal is to ensure that all homesteads together with their fences and gates are environmentally friendly. This ensures that these benefits are kept for posterity.