There are over 10,000 species of ants on Earth, making them one of the most abundant creatures on the planet. Most of them prefer to live in forests and jungles, while others think your home is the best place for them.
While a few of these tiny creatures may not cause much harm, they reproduce rapidly and can make themselves at home quickly when conditions are ideal.
Often, modern houses provide every luxury an ant could desire, including abundant food and shelter from the elements. Once they’ve settled in, their nesting habits can cause untold structural damage to your home.
They may be small, but ants carry bacteria and can occasionally spread diseases like dysentery and smallpox too.
Follow these tips on how to get rid of ants before they take over.
Physical Barriers to Prevent Ants Invading Your Home
According to pest professionals, Altus Pest Control, no structure is safe from pest invasions, so it’s important to take steps against ants regardless of how secure you think your home is.
Due to their tiny size and extraordinary climbing capabilities, ants can enter your home through tiny cracks and crevices. Here’s how to keep them out:
- Seal any openings you notice with a silicone-based caulk.
- Replace worn weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around your windows and basement foundation.
- Trim back trees and shrubbery from your walls and windows.
- Stack your firewood at least 20 feet away from your house.
Preventing ants from getting into your home is always preferable to chemical controls once they’re already inside.
How to Get Rid of Ants With Home Brewed Remedies
Do you already have an ant problem? You can send them packing without resorting to harsh pesticides.
These are some of the tried-and-tested remedies for getting rid of ants:
- Spray powdered chalk near entry points
- Wash your floors with a solution containing lemon juice
- Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice near access points
- Spritz a solution of water mixed with pepper around ant entryways
- A solution of salt dissolved in water also helps get rid of ants
- Wipe window sills and doorways with a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar
- Peppermint essential oil mixed with water repels most household pests
- Keep a small bowl of cinnamon and cloves in your kitchen
Things that smell earthy or bitter make the best remedies for ants. They love sweetness though, so keep sugar and any other sweet items in airtight containers.
If none of these solutions work, get in touch with an integrative pest control company to help you with ant removal. These methods are much safer for your family than traditional poisons and chemicals.
Find More Practical Solutions to Everyday Problems
Spring and fall are the time of year when ants usually head indoors, so make sure you try some of these tips on how to get rid of ants before the seasons start to change.
I specialize in providing useful information and practical tips on ways to cope with daily issues that affect your home and family life. Prepare for any eventuality by browsing my website for more useful advice.