Do you like stories? A monogram is just that. They are a great way to personalize almost anything from a coffee mug to a stationary bag. There are a variety of styles to choose from that can fit any occasion and now you can personalize a monogram yourself online.
The Different Types of Monograms
- The circle style works great for two-letter and three-letter monograms. The characters are inside a circle, or they can be shaped to take the form of a circle.
- The interlocking style is used with fonts that have flourishes. That way, these elements touch each other.
- The traditional style also popular for three-letter monograms is used mostly for names. The letters on the side are the first and middle name initials, while the middle letter represents the last name. Both letters on the sides are slightly smaller to emphasize the last name.
- The block style is popular for three-letter monograms. All the letters are the same height and width.
- The initial style is just one-letter where only the middle initial of the company or name is used. It can also have decorative flourishes.
- The diamond style works the same way as the circle monogram. The characters can fit within a diamond shape or can take the shape of a diamond.
- The stacked style works best for three-letter monograms. The first and middle name initials are stacked on top of the other and placed on the left side. The last name is placed on the right side, and the height should match the first two.
- The split-letter style is exactly as the name insists; the initial character is cut in half. This space in the middle can contain the complete word of what the initial stands for.
How to Design Your Own Monogram Online
Whether it’s a gift or for yourself, there are few important things to think about before making your design.
Choose Your Preferred Style
What is the surface of the item you are printing on? Will your design have one initial or two? Is this for a couple or a business? Some styles work better with one initial, and others work better with three. Have fun and experiment!
Add and Customize the Letters
Play around with different fonts to see which looks best on the style you chose. Some letters may look better than others. Traditionally, men would use a block style and women would use a script style, but today, anything goes. Just pick something that reflects your personal style.
Add a Frame or Other Elements
To make your monogram stand out from the others, you may want to try adding a frame or other embellishments. Flowers, wreaths, stars, or glitter are all used to frame the letters. The choices out there are endless, so be creative!
Where Can I use Monograms?
Pretty much anywhere! Paint on a boring stretch of wall space and spice it up with your monogram. Or put your initial onto clothing or luggage. Make table napkins or placemats. Decorate your bed sheets or your writing stationery. Design your own jewellery and mugs. There’s really no wrong way to go.
Monograms started in Greece thousands of years ago on coins and now they have become a trend in modern brand and jewelry design. Wherever your creative journey takes you, make sure you stay true to yourself. Elaborate words and images may not tell your story like a monogram could. Bring this old tradition back to life, and celebrate the initials that signify you.