If you’ve always shied away from buying or applying make-up and want to do so all of a sudden, you can easily get overwhelmed. To build your first make-up kit, you don’t need to have each and every thing that a professional make-up artist has. You can get a fabulous look by using just a few basic make-up items.
However, make-up has changed over the years and there’s so much you need to know before you pick the right products. Here’s some information that will help you pick what’s best for you.
For Glowing Skin
If you have gorgeous skin, you don’t need to buy anything to cover it up. However, foundation can protect your skin from pollution and as most foundation comes with SPF these days, you’ll do your skin some good if you apply it before stepping out in the sun. If you have acne or an uneven complexion, foundation can help you get flawless looking skin.
- Tinted foundations can help women who have very pale skin, broken capillaries, or rosacea. Such foundations do feel heavier though and over-applying can make your skin look unnatural.
- You may wish to go for tinted moisturizers that are light and have a transparent finish. Avoid these if you have an oily complexion as your skin may end up looking greasy.
- Liquid foundations are most popular as they are formulated for all skin types. They are light, won’t clog your skin pores, and are easy to apply.
- Cream foundations come in a cream form but turn into powder as they dry on the face. They provide good coverage but over-applying them will make your skin look cakey.
- Powder foundations are again light and easy to apply. They aren’t a good option for women with dry skin.
- A mineral foundation can do wonders for a woman with very sensitive skin as they are hypo-allergenic. Mineral foundations can conceal fine lines and wrinkles, and give your skin a youthful glow.
Foundation will not be able to cover up blemishes or dark spots. So if you have blemishes, it will do you good to buy some concealer. Buy a concealer that matches your skin tone closely. You can apply concealer onto blemishes before or after applying foundation. Always dab the concealer on the blemish or dark spot using a sponge or brush, and never rub it on with your fingers.
It’s also important to moisturize and tone your skin well and as needed. Pick up right products for the same. Get freebies to see if a product suits you well before you buy anything.
Add Some Color to Your Cheeks
There are various types of blushes available and you must consider your skin type before you pick one for yourself.
- Powder blush, as the name goes, comes in a powder form. It is good for all skin types and can be easily applied.
- Cream blush is very dense and as such, should be used sparingly. It is important to blend it into the skin well and it is great for women with dry skin.
- Gel or liquid blush works best for women with oily skin. These blushes add a sheer glow to the cheeks giving them a freshly-scrubbed look. These blushes dry fast, so you’ll need to quickly work them on to your cheeks. The same applies to tint blushes which can look streaky if not applied properly.
- Cheek pencils are the best for beginners. They are formulated with emollients and moisturizers so avoid them if you have oily skin.
- If you already have a pinkish complexion, just stick to using a shimmer to add a light glow to your face. Avoid using shimmer on wrinkles as it will accentuate them.
- Pale complexioned women can use bronzers to fake or enhance a tan.
For Luscious Lips
You might take fancy to a particular color to coat your lips with, but there’s more to lipsticks than just picking your favorite shade. Choosing the right shade of lipstick is another topic altogether. In addition to color, you need to make sure you pick a type that is perfect for you.
- Matte lipsticks are often available in the darkest colors and contain a lot of pigment. They don’t flatter women with thin or wrinkled lips. Also, they don’t contain a lot of moisturizing ingredients so should be avoided if you have dry or chapped lips.
- Crème lipsticks have more wax and are better suited to dry lips. However, they can still cause lips to dry out. Pearl or frosted lipsticks can also make your lips dry; use a moisturizer before applying them.
- Satin or sheer lipsticks moisturize lips as they are rich in oil components. You might need to keep reapplying to keep your lips glossy.
- Lip stains are liquid-based products that are meant to be painted on to the lips. Once dry, they stay on your lips for up to 12 hours and need to be removed with make-up remover. They do make your lips dry so be sure to moisturize lips first.
- Lip glosses can provide light to full coverage in addition to moisture for dry, chapped lips. Use lighter shades of lip gloss on their own to give your lips a natural sheen and to plump them up. You can also use lip gloss in combination with lipsticks.
- Go for tinted lip balms if you want to nourish your lips with rich ingredients like Shea butter and vitamin E. Lip balms also have SPF that can protect your lips from sun damage.
Tantalize with Your Eyes
Throughout history, people all over the world have been using eye make-up. Eye make-up when applied in the right way, can do wonders to your face by enhancing your features.
- Eye shadow comes in powder, cream, or liquid form and is to be applied on the eye lids. You can mix and match various colors to get a different look each time.
- Eye liners are found in pencil, powder, or liquid form and are used to define the shape of the eyes. They are usually in black or brown colors, but are also found in blue, green, silver or purple colors.
- If you have thin eye lashes, you can use mascara to thicken them. You can also use false eye lashes but you’ll have to practice applying them.
Have fun shopping!